CJ Automotive Factory Heating Solution Success Story
Learn How an Indiana Manufacturer Retrofitted Antiquated Heating Equipment with New HTHV Technology
CJ Automotive, a manufacturer in Indiana, needed to replace their inefficient unit heaters they were using to heat their 126,000 s/f manufacturing and distribution facility. The aging boiler system didn’t provide a comfortable working environment for employees and generated excessive utility bills during the winter heating months. Compounding the problem was the fact that the installation of any new factory heating option, no matter what time of the year, needed to occur during production hours with zero tolerance for negative impact on the production line.
CJ Automotive had two main requirements for a new system:
- Lower their monthly heating costs.
- Provide a more comfortable working environment for their employees during the winter months all while meeting their ROI requirements
Cambridge Air Solutions, with the help of their regional manufacturer’s representative B&B Energy, worked with CJ Automotive to design a factory heating solution that would not only meet their needs but exceed their ROI requirements. The team presented CJ Automotive with a leading-edge heating technology solution called High Temperature Heating and Ventilation (HTHV) manufactured by Cambridge Air Solutions. The HTHV technology, a 92% efficient direct-fired technology, is designed to provide three main benefits:
- Lower utility costs – as a 92% thermal efficient solution the HTHV technology would dramatically lower their utility costs when compared to the older, outdated and inefficient boiler equipment. HTHV technology has a minimum discharge temperature of 150°F. It is because of this higher discharge temperature that HTHV technologies can heat structures using less natural gas than other less efficient products.
- Provide even temperatures throughout the facility trough better destratification – the HTHV technology, with its high static blower, provides better air destratification without the use of external destratification fans. Even in high bay buildings with ceiling heights of 30 feet or greater the temperature difference from ceiling to floor is no greater than 4 degrees.
- Provide better indoor air quality – because HTHV technology uses 100% outside air the technology is also a ventilation device as well as a heating solution. More outside air means better indoor air quality for the occupants. Buildings don’t need to breathe, but people do.
As part of the process, Cambridge Air Solutions, the local mechanical contractor, and manufacturing rep met with CJ Automotive to conduct a site survey to ensure that the factory heating solution provided would meet their energy use, comfort, and ROI requirements. The survey included an Energy-Use Analysis comparing the new HTHV equipment to the old boiler equipment. The main goal of the analysis was to provide the team with the information needed to estimate the potential energy savings from moving to the new HTHV technology. The site survey also provided the necessary information to calculate the heat load the facility required.
It was determined that three separate Cambridge HTHV unit: (1) SA 250, (1) S800, and (1) S2200, would be required, and that CJ Automotive could realize a 20% savings on their utility bills. The HTHV equipment would also qualify for commercial rebates through their natural gas utility provider which would help them on equipment costs and their ROI.
In addition to the estimated gas savings and the utility rebates for the equipment the factory heating solution was designed so that there would be no disruption to the production line.
After completion of the installation, CJ Automotive has been able to not only achieve but exceed their goals from the heating retrofit project:
Reduce Utility Costs
*January, February, and March make up 80% of CJ Automotive’s heating requirements
Improve Workforce Comfort
Even as impressive as the utility savings are what’s even more impressive is that CJ Automotive’ s thermostat setting went from 55°F with their old system to 68°F using the new system. The workforce now has an environment where they no longer need to worry about uncomfortable surroundings. Instead they have even comfortable temperatures from their head to their toes….an exceptional work environment and lower utility bills has made every satisfied.
Return on Investment
With the dramatic savings in energy costs, the utility rebates they received, the fact that they were able to cut over 4 man hours/day in maintenance and repairs to the old boiler, and remove thousands of dollars in annual boiler inspection fees CJ Automotive was able beat their stated ROI requirements for the project.
The Cambridge S-Series Factory Heaters
Cambridge’s S-Series was part of the combination of factory heating solutions that made the most sense for CJ Automotive’s manufacturing facility. The S-Series large industrial space heater is energy efficient and designed to meet the temperature requirements of large factory spaces, eliminating higher ceiling temperatures and uncomfortable drafts. Create a better work environment for your employees and improve the IAQ of your building with Cambridge’s factory heating options.
Factory Heating Options for Manufacturers
Cambridge’s factory heating options are designed to meet the specific requirements of large manufacturing facilities. High-bay buildings require heating solutions with different specifications, and it may warrant a combination of factory heating solutions to achieve the desired Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) and thermal comfort needs. Learn more about our heating, make-up air and cooling options for manufacturing buildings.